Monday, March 23, 2009

The Christ in Me

My friend gave a devotion in the dorm the other night about complaining. Her point was that others are constantly watching us. What do we want them to see in us? When others see us having a bad day or complaining, it makes them think that Jesus is not capable of making us happy. Why would they want a part in the Christ who cannot satisfy or bring true joy? We may not always be bubbly and giddy but even when we are not having the best day, we should display a joy and peace that tells others that we will be ok again. This circumstance is not the end of the world. We don't live without hope.
So what do we complain about and how do we stop?
Well, # 1- we complain about our circumstances: The weather is bad, my hair is messed up, I was late to class, I'm hungry, I have a headache, I'm broke, some girl is being mean to me, my boyfriend broke up with me.... many many many other things... the list could go on forever. Notice though, that most of these things cannot be changed anyway. We have no control over them. But we do know the one who is in control of every circumstance. Let's take our problems to Him instead of bringing those around us down and gaining a bad testimony. This is something that I will have to be working on a lot!
The second thing we complain about are the rules in our lives. This majorly applies to me in college and probably to those of you who are in high school as well, but this can also apply to any Christian who is living with standards in their life and sometimes wonders "What is the point. I don't want to wear these skirts anymore. I want to listen to that music I use to listen to. I want to watch this movie." We have a tendency to complain about the rules that our God given authority have set over us. It might help us to not complain about our authority or the rules if we look at the life of David. David was being chased by the king. Saul wanted to kill him! David knew that Saul was the one in the wrong and that he had been anointed the next king of Israel. But even when he had a justified opportunity to disrespect Saul, he didn't. In fact he gave him more respect than he deserved. God blessed David for this.
Now, if David, who had every right to complain, was still respectful and took his problem to the Lord, don't you think we can to? Who do others see in you? The Christ that makes you complain, or the Christ who makes you joyful in spite of rules and circumstances?
Just something to consider. Sorry it's been so long between posts. :(

2 comments:

Tammy said...

Well Amen! Thanks for the reminder. I am guilty at times of griping and complaining. I will work on that.

Calvary said...

GREAT POST!