Friday, June 6, 2008

For the youth worker

Hello again! Today I wanted to talk a little about what I learned as a youth director's daughter. My dad became the youth pastor of our small church when I was 10 or 11 years old. I wasn't technically old enough to be part of the youth group but since my parents were so involved with them, I got to attend a lot of the youth activities and I was constantly around teenagers because mom and dad would always have them over to the house. That is one bit of advice I would give to youth workers. Let the kids in! I really believe my parent's willingness to just "hang out" with the teens made a big difference. We always had teens at our house between Sunday morning and Sunday evening services. They would just have lunch with us and play games or watch movies. This formed a deeper bond between many of the kids and their youth workers. Now, I will say that there should be a definite separation of "youth worker" and "friend". There has to be some level of respect there. You cannot always just be their best bud. They need to know that you not only have authority over them but also that they can trust you to be mature enough to handle their problems. But be willing to laugh and have fun with them. Teens love to see an adult that's not too good to be silly every once in a while. Anyways... I saw a lot during my couple of years as the youth director's daughter. I saw teens who use to be uninterested in church and the Bible come to love it! I saw friendships form and relationships form. And, on the flip side, I saw, first hand, the back stabbing and the lies and gossip and the rebellion that, many times, comes with worldly teens. (I emphasise "worldly". This should not be happening with the Christian teens. Sadly, it sometimes does.) I saw my parents pour so much into a group of teenagers who later turned on them or fell away and messed up their lives. The one thing that I would say frustrates me the most looking back on all the teens who came through our department is that many of them wouldn't listen. I'm sure I was the same way when I got into the youth group but it still amazes me how many teens hear good preaching week after week and refuse to heed the warnings given. Here is my opinion on that: Don't give up!
" The seed you've planted deep, is yet to grow. You wonder when you'll reap the things you sew. And how long has it been since rain last touched your brow. You search the skies but the rain just can't be found. But it will rain again! The fruit will fill the vine. The stalk will bend with wheat, the grapes burst forth with wine. So go into your field. Your work is not in vain. God promised harvest. And I know it will rain. So lift your head today and see the task. The rain will come your way, if you will ask. Go build your barns my friend. Prepare to store the grain. The clouds are coming, and I know it will rain." (The McRaes-"It will rain again")
Don't ever give up on those people you're trying to reach. Just keep working and keep praying! You never know if you are making a great difference in a person's life.
Now, from the daughter's point of view... My parents were pretty good about balancing family time and church time. Parents, don't let your children take a back seat to your ministry. Family comes first. Your kids need you and you don't want to be so caught up in someone else's that your own feel like you are too busy to deal with their problems. If you are breaking your back to make it to one of your teen's sports activities then make sure you are at your own child's school function. Also try not to share too much of the dirty details of the ministry with them. There are some things that they just don't need to know yet. My parents were quite cautious of complaining about teens in front of my brother and I. If all your children ever hear about and see is the rebellion and lies and such that are a part of most ministries, it could drive them away from ever wanting to serve in the ministry later. Make sure they see the good stuff too. Make sure they understand the importance of a life changed and a soul saved. Make sure they understand what a great thing it is to have a teen make a decision to serve God. More likely than not, your child probably looks up to at least one of those teens.
If you have teenage children then make sure they are part of the youth group. Don't always expect them to be super Christian just because they are your child. Remember, they are just a teen too. Make sure there is a little bit of separation between parent and youth worker. When you are at church or on a youth activity, treat them like "one of the teens". Try not to constantly be getting on to them. Don't forget, other teens go to camp and get a break from their parents for a week, your kids don't get that. I'm not saying you can't ever treat them like your child but just give them a little room to just be a teen. They will probably appreciate it.
Finally- let your teens see that it's real in you! Don't be a fake. Be genuine! They can tell!

No comments: