Friday, June 27, 2008

Sufficient for the need

"Day by day and with each passing moment
Strength I find to meet my trials here
Trusting in my Father's wise bestowment
I've no cause for worry or for fear
He whose heart is kind beyond all measure
Gives unto each day what He deems best!
Lovingly it's part of pain and pleasure
Mingling toil with peace and rest
Every day the Lord himself is near me
With a special mercy for each hour
All my cares he fain would bear and cheer me
He whose name is Counsellor and Power
The protection of His child and treasure
Is a charge that on himself he laid
'As your days, your strength shall be in measure'
This the pledge to me He made
Help me then in every tribulation
So to trust Your promises, O Lord
That I lose not faith's sweet consolation
Offered me within thy Holy Word
Help me, Lord, when toil and trouble meeting
E'er to take as from a father's hand
One by one the days the moments fleeting
Till I reach the promised land"
- Carolina Sandell Berg

This is one of my favorite hymns. There is so much truth in it and yet I'm sure so often we sing it without a thought. When I really think about the promise of this song it gives me so much encouragement. This song always makes me think of the passage in Matt 17:24-27. My dad preached a sermon on this one day and it stuck with me. It is talking about how the people who took up the tribute money asked Peter if Jesus would pay tribute and Peter foolishly said "yes". Well Jesus explained to him why he didn't need to pay tribute but said "Notwithstanding, lest we should offend them, go thou to the sea, and cast an hook, and take up the fish that first cometh up; and when thou hast opened his mouth, thou shalt find a piece of money: that take, and give unto them for me and thee." Now, my point doesn't really have anything to do with the story except that did you notice that Jesus didn't say "Go get that fish and you will get a million dollars." He didn't make him rich so that he would never have to worry about tribute again but he did take care of the need of the moment. God may not always take away every burden and problem and He never promised to make us rich or allow us to have name brand clothing or the finest food around or the biggest mansion. But He did promise us that he would supply the needs. In reality, we don't even deserve that. What a good God! If we trust and depend on Him, He promises to give us the strength necessary for that day. Then we will come back to Him the next day for more strength. He is not just in control of our entire lives and our future but of each and every single day.


No comments: