Sunday, June 15, 2008

Leaning on his strength

"When no one cared about me, if I should live or die, and no one bothered asking why I'd go alone and cry. When burdens got so heavy that I could not face the day, then I'd feel His arms around me and I'd hear him gently say...
Lean on me, When you have no strength to stand. When you feel that you're going under just hold tighter to my hand. Lean on me, when your heart begins to bleed. When you come to the place where I'm all you have then you'll find I'm all you need!
When the road ahead seems rugged and the path is getting steep and I feel that I can't make it and I hang my head and weep. Then I turn to see who's coming to join me in the way. And I see that it's my Savior and I hear him gently say...
Lean on me when you have no strength to stand. When you feel that you're going under, just hold tighter to my hand. Lean on me when you heart begins to bleed. When you come to the place where I'm all you have then you'll find I'm all you need!"

Praise the Lord that we can lean on Him when burdens get too heavy for us. One of my favorite verses in the Bible is I Peter 5:7- "Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you." This is a lesson I learned in college this past year. My sophomore year was a hard one. I got involved with a guy first semester (whom I will have to explain at a later time) and I let myself be distracted from the Lord. Two days before Christmas break we broke up and the second semester was a living nightmare! We never had a time where we yelled at each other but there was absolutely tension and there was a lot of lies and miscommunication. Neither one of us handled it the way we should have, and I realize now, that as much as I blamed him, it was just as much my fault. I reacted in a very immature way and I definitely let the situation steal my joy and peace. But this is what I learned about 3/4 of the way through that second semester... I AM NOT STRONG ENOUGH!
I'm gonna let you in on one of my prayer journal entries from last semester just cuz I think this surrender is what is necessary to gain the strength you need in a hard time:
"Lord, I thank you for showing me through your Word that I'm not strong enough to handle all the situations in my life. I'm not strong enough to be a good witness at work and have a good testimony at school. I'm not strong enough to balance friendships. I'm not strong enough to handle finances. I'm not strong enough to handle Josh or his friends who are spreading lies. I'm not strong enough to be a good friend to (a girl) who has drifted away from you. I'm not strong enough to handle all these situations! My heart hurts too much. This heartache is making me weak. Thank you that I can cast it all at your feet and leave it. I know that you WANT me to give it to you. Thank you that YOUR strength is made perfect in my weakness. I love you, Lord. Please take these burdens. I give them to you..."
I have to go so that's all for today. But I hope that this will be a help to someone. Cast your cares upon him... you're not strong enough to handle them on your own. You can live life so much more joyfully and peacefully if you let go of the problems. More on this subject at a later time.

No comments: