Wednesday, July 2, 2008

"No" can be a blessing!

Verse 1:It starts with a desire,
planted deep within your heart
You pray in faith, and wait for God to move
But Time passes and you wonder
Did He hear me when I called?
Should I even have prayed that prayer at all
Chorus:You never pray a prayer,

your Father will not answer
He can't ignore His child's earnest request
While you're waiting and believing
For what you thought was best
Trust God if He says no….. You're still Blessed
There must be a greater yes
Verse 2:There comes a time when child-like faith

Must graduate to trust
Trials come and you're convinced you're on your own
But the teacher's often silent
When you're in the hardest test
But He'll answer when It's time with what is best
Bridge:Sometimes God will answer -

just like we prayed
Then other times what's on His mind
Is a better plan, a another way, a greater yes"

Another one of my favorite songs that spoke to my heart big time this past semester. Instead of being upset because God says "No" when we want something, we should remember that He knows what's best and that He is saying "No" because he has something so much greater for us down the road. There is something better to say "Yes" to.
If you want to marry a certain person but God says "No", don't be too upset, there is a greater "Yes". If you want to have a certain job but God says "No", there is a greater "Yes". This can be said in any situation where we are praying for something. I know from experience that it's easier said than done. But Amy showed me something in the book "Discover your destiny" by Carey Schmidt that changed my whole outlook- This is basically the story he told.
(Lance is his 5 year old son)
' My wife and I picked up my son, Lance, from Kindergarten one day and told him when he got in the car that we were going some place really really fun that day. I told him to guess what it was and he sat there a thought for a minute, then said "DIMPLES?!" Dimples was a storefront play place we took Lance to for some cheap fun on occasion. Lance loved Dimples and could not imagine any place being better. I said "No Lance, We are going some place better!" My son sat there with a sad look on his face. "I wanna go to dimples." He pouted. "Lance, you don't understand. We are going to ....... DISNEYLAND!" In my mind there were little trumpets playing and confetti being thrown. But Lance just sat there, pouting. " But I want Dimples!" Now he was demanding! I tried another approach. "Lance, Disneyland is where Mickey Mouse lives! You are gonna love it Buddy! Just trust me on this!" Lance was insistent on Dimples. I didn't understand this and to tell the truth I was getting frustrated with my son. What kid on earth wouldn't LOVE to go to Disneyland! It was so clear that Disneyland was so much greater than Dimples. The comparison was ridiculous! I almost decided to give Lance what he wanted and take him to Dimples... it sure would have saved some money, but I was too excited about Disneyland. "Lance, I promise, once we go to Disneyland you will never want to go to Dimples again!" My son was now sitting in the back seat crying. " I want Dimples" he shouted! I was extremely agitated. When my wife reached back to console our crying son I finally realized.... Lance doesn't want Disneyland because he doesn't understand how great it is... he's never been before! In his mind, Dimples was as good as it gets! Well, Lance finally cried himself to sleep and we drove to Disneyland. Needless to say, Lance got out of the car, took one look at Disneyland and never looked back! In fact, when our budget called for some affordable family fun at Dimples a couple weeks later, Lance was crying for Disneyland.
It's just like that with God's will. We get some idea in our head or we find something or someone that we think is the best (Our "dimples") and refuse to give it up. All along, God is trying to take us to "Disneyland". Maybe in your mind, that guy or girl is as good as it gets. But if you would let God handle finding a mate for you then you would realize that he has Disneyland waiting for you! That boy or girl compared to who God has for you is like Dimples compared to Disneyland.
God has such a bigger plan for you than you have for yourself. God wants to give us what we would ask for if we were smart enough to ask for it. He has a Disneyland for you! Stop worrying about Dimples! If we will just trust him, he will give us what is best. All we have to do is peacefully trust him from the backseat and let him lead!'
Hope this was a help to someone!
Let go of "Dimples" (whatever it may be in your life) Let God take you to Disneyland! It's so much better than what you have planned! Guaranteed!

1 comment:

Tammy said...

Great advice. Remember it yourself when making choices and when you are disappointed about things!
Love, Mom