Monday, July 14, 2008

Remember...

I was reading today in Matthew about how Jesus fed the multitudes with just 5 loaves and 2 fishes and then another time he did the same with 7 loaves and a few fishes. They even had tons of left-overs! In the very next chapter, it talks about how the disciples were worried that Jesus was upset with them because they forgot to bring bread. Jesus says "O ye of little faith, why reason ye among yourselves, because ye have brought no bread? Do ye not yet understand, neither remember the five loaves of the five thousand, and how many baskets ye took up? Neither the seven loaves of the four thousand, and how many baskets ye took up?"
This made me think... How often do I do that? I start to worry about things and get upset over things and wonder if God will really provide when all I really need to do is remember how he provided before.
When my family moved to Arkansas from Cleveland, Oklahoma, I was afraid that I would never make any friends. I'm a pretty shy person, and although I'm getting better thanks to some friends I've had, it's not always easy for me to make friends. But I remember praying that the Lord would give me at least one good friend there. And he did more than that! He gave me a whole youth group where I felt like I was part of and a couple of the best friends I've ever had, Nikki and Mrs.Abby. He came through! He provided!
When I went to college, I was TERRIFIED that I would be too shy to make any friends. The Lord put me in a room with Kimi who I was able to become really close to, and later Amy and Rachel and others who are now my best friends. Once again He provided what I was so afraid he wouldn't.
So whenever I get to worrying about going to a new place I just need to remember how the Lord has provided friends for me in every place I've been, and he can do it again!
One of my favorite stories of God's provision that I like to tell is from my freshman year in college. It was time to make my very first school payment and I did not have enough money. But I scraped up the money somehow (I forget how now, my parents may have loaned me some) and went up to the office. I knew that after I made that payment it was going to be tight until payday. I got up to the office and told the lady my name and that I needed to pay my bill for that month. She said "Looks like you're already paid for this month. You don't owe anything." I could not believe it! I couldn't even talk. I just started crying and walked back to my dorm room thanking God. That was $300 I got to keep! Apparently I had over-paid on the down payment so they just credited it to my account. I had heard about God providing in amazing ways for others but that was the first time it had happened to me! When things get tight- instead of worrying, I should just remember how he provided then and so many other times.
I remember how God has provided even little things. He showed me His ability to provide so much during my freshman year. I remember when I got to one of my classes and realized I had the wrong kind of concordance. Well they cost like $30 or so and I did NOT have $30. I didn't even have $20 because I hadn't been able to find a job yet. I went and told the teacher the situation and he said that it was ok for that day but that I would have to have one next week. I guess a girl sitting in the front row heard me tell the teacher I didn't have one and she said "I have an extra one if you want it." I was so happy that I, again, started crying. I don't know why but that was such a big deal to me! What a blessing that some girl that I didn't even know was going to give me a brand new concordance for free!
God has always provided right on time what I needed him to. He has somehow made payments less than they were expected when I was broke or laid it on someones heart to take me out to eat when I had no food in my dorm and no money in the bank. Maybe we would worry less if we would just remember how he has provided so many times before. He is still the same God as he was then!
Hope this long entry was an encouragement for someone. :-)

3 comments:

Tammy said...

Thanks for the reminder. He does always provide though lately He has sometimes let me do without to teach me and help me grow.
Mom

Michaila said...

Jen, You're entry was So encouraging. I'm going to be a freshman in high school this year and I'm praying about Heartland for College.

Jen said...

Thanks Michaila! You've actually been an encouragement to me because you are the first person besides family and close friends who has commented on my site. So thanks! I'm glad I could be an encouragement. Heartland is a great place to get Biblical training so I'm glad that you are praying about it! :)